Thursday, June 18, 2009

Art Book Review: The Art of Vogue Covers 1909-1940



Title: The Art of Vogue Covers 1909-1940
Author: William Packer, introduction by Lady Diana Cooper
Publisher: Peerage Books
Published: 1987
Pages: 255
Price: $20.00 (used)
The Art of Vogue Covers 1909-1940


I bought this eight years ago in a unremarkable used book store in Hope, which goes to show that you never know what you'll find (I could have said don't judge a book by it's cover but that would have been too much). It's since become one of my favorite art books, before I photographed it I had to remove the sticky notes that I seemed to have put on every single page! It contains cover art by Vogue artists like Helen Dryden, Lepape and Benito. The fabulous exaggerated silhouettes and art deco influences are really inspiring. I also love the colours (especially Helen Dryden's use of colour)


and bold, geometric silhouettes, like this winter cover with the women bundled up in her luxurious white fur coat, the flat white circular shapes contrast so well with the dappled snowy background.

The introduction gives a nice summary of Vogue's illustration history and throughout the book which is arranged chronologically, there is a brief paragraph about the important events of each year and short but interesting points accompany each cover. I'll probably post more pictures at a later date because I have too many favorites to include here.

No comments:

Post a Comment